A holistic certificate program for schools to demonstrate their commitment to the mental wellbeing of its students and community at large.
LiveWell Schools aims to empower students to create a sustainable culture
around depression awareness, prevention, and mental wellness.
A holistic and integrated approach to empower students to create a sustainable culture around mental wellness.
A LiveWell Certified School will provide the following services for its students, faculty, and community:
LW Teens Program Curriculum©- A 10-part innovative, intersectional, and activity-based curriculum designed around the LW Teens Strategies©.
Faculty/Admin/Staff training- Teen depression and suicide prevention training with an integrated wellness-based and trauma-informed approach.
Parent/Community Forum- Teen depression and suicide prevention training with an integrated trauma-informed and wellness-based approach adapted for families of teens.
All-School LW Assembly- an experiential and transformative program designed to educate students and school community about depression and its related mental health issues.
Peer-2-Peer Student Run Club- A faculty supervised group that provides students a safe space and planned psychoeducational activities/discussions.
Student Mental Health Survey- A student-driven yearly survey for all students to assess their well-being and levels of stress; identify at-risk individuals; and provide follow up information to student with options to reach out to counselors.
The vision and standards for LiveWell Schools were created using evidence-based research on interventional and psychoeducational best practices. We identified that the best path to effective programming around mental wellness is an integrated and holistic approach.
As we continue to develop this programming we are looking to partner with more schools. If you are a student, faculty member, parent, administrator, or just a community member looking to make a difference in your local schools, please reach out.
nearly 1 in 4 teens suffer from depression and adolescent national suicide rates have increased 70% in the last decade.
Director of Arts & Education
250 South 17th Street, 1400
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Some of the current organizations we are working with to help make
LiveWell Schools a reality:
Children Can Shape the Future (CCSF) is a non-profit supporting innovative education in Philadelphia and Camden. CCSF has generously funded the first year of exploration, research, and development around LiveWell Schools, and specifically the adaptation of The LiveWell Program for adults into The LiveWell Teens Program Curriculum and its implementation in local high schools in 2020.
Youth United for Change (YUC) works with low-income young people to organize campaigns geared towards ensuring high quality public education for all young Philadelphians. LWF has been working with YUC’s Student Leadership Committee and student members to develop criteria for LiveWell Schools, aligning much of LWF’s programming with YUC’s campaigns and student-driven requests for policy changes around mental health in Philadelphia public schools.
Minding Your Mind (MYM) is dedicated to ending stigma and destructive behaviors associated with mental health issues, moving away from a crisis-based response to prevention through education. With their focus on speakers, assemblies, and presentations, LWF has partnered with MYM to deliver the in-school assembly component of the LW Schools certification process.
Our Minds Matter (OMM) is a student-led movement to change the school culture around mental health. Funded by the Josh Anderson Foundation and using a peer-to-peer approach, OMM’s mission is to provide adolescents with mental health education, resources and support so they never turn to suicide. LWF has partnered with OMM to implement the peer-to-peer student-based group component of the LW Schools certification process.
"Communication has always been really important to me when struggling with mental health... Having someone to talk to makes all the difference."
The ten LiveWell Teen Strategies at the center of this program bring together multiple evidence-based interventions for teens and young adults into one integrated package. Each of the strategies is proven to help teens better monitor and manage their moods, increase wellbeing, and reduce depression symptoms and relapses.
1) TALK TO SOMEONE: Strengthen your communication skills through courageous sharing and active listening, and get comfortable asking for and giving emotional support.
2) LIVE WITH A PURPOSE: Commit time and energy to things that reflect your personal values, and dedicate yourself to positively influencing the wellbeing of your community.
3) PRACTICE MINDFULNESS: Make mindfulness a part of your daily self-care: bring your awareness to the present moment, be curious about what arises, and recognize that all thoughts, feelings, and sensations will pass.
4) FOCUS ON YOUR STRENGTHS: Practice self-compassion, resist negative self-talk, and remember that your thoughts and moods do not define who you are.
5) LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE: Get off your screen, out of your head, and into your life by engaging in activities that further your personal goals, support your mental health, and bring you joy.
6) CREATE SUPPORTIVE CONNECTIONS: Avoid isolating by building or maintaining relationships with supportive and empathetic people who share your positive values.
7) LIVE AND LEARN: Empower yourself through knowledge: learn about mental health issues, identify and focus on the things you can control, and discover what best helps you.
8) BE PREPARED: Learn to identify triggers that increase stress or threaten your mood,
and utilize your creative problem solving skills, Action Plan, and/or Crisis Plan.
9) CHALLENGE MENTAL HEALTH STIGMA: Explore how your cultural and family beliefs about mental health affect the way you think, feel, and act. Share your unique story to help empower yourself and inspire others.
10) DO WHAT YOU CAN WHEN YOU CAN: Accept the ups-and-downs of managing your moods, integrate self-care into your daily lifestyle, and trust in your unique process of wellness, self-discovery, and growth.